“King of the Hill, Top of the Heap” — Any Way You Say it, New York Stakes Its Claim for Top of the List for Sports Betting
- 1.2 million accounts created in NY
- 878,000 unique users in NY
- 87.8% of NY players are “new” to regulated sports betting
- 17.9 million geolocation transactions this past weekend
- NJ hasn’t flinched since NY launch
January 18, 2022 (Vancouver, BC) — Just over a week after New York’s highly anticipated sports betting launch, GeoComply data shows the state continues its remarkable start. More than one million accounts have been created across the five authorized sportsbooks and the action is not slowing down.
“The momentum of New York’s sports betting launch has continued and it is mostly home-grown,” says Lindsay Slader, Managing Director of Gaming at GeoComply. “The vast majority of users are brand new to regulated sports betting in the U.S. The data tell us that New Yorkers are dumping illegal sportsbooks for the new legal options and operators are also excelling at attracting first-time bettors.”
From launch at 9am EST on Saturday, January 8 up until the end of the game on Monday, January 17, GeoComply data shows:
- 1.2 million accounts active in NY, with 878,000 unique players – more than NJ and PA combined over the same period.
- Only 9.3% of NY players have placed bets previously in NJ, easing cannibalization concerns.
- 770,840 or 87.8% of NY players are brand new to regulated online sports betting – never before seen in GeoComply’s systems.
- New Yorkers are mostly loyal to one sportsbook so far, with an average of 1.36 accounts per player.
- New York geolocation transactions* this weekend (17.9 million), exceeded transactions from launch weekend (17.2 million).
- New Jersey is unfazed; averaged 12.6 million geolocation transactions* the two weekends before NY launch and 13.1 million the two weekends since launch.
*Geolocation transactions are not equivalent to total wagers, but a strong indicator of market activity.
Graphic: Where are NY Bettors Coming From?
The graphic above demonstrates the historical overlap between New York’s pool of users and those who have also wagered in other states since December 1, 2021. Therefore the overlapping areas show the percentage of players in multiple markets; for example 9.3% of players have placed wagers in both New Jersey and New York.
“New York hasn’t failed to dazzle us, but we are also impressed by the sustained growth of the overall sports betting industry. We can’t wait to share how many more GeoComply data records are broken from now through the Super Bowl,” concluded Slader.
About GeoComply Solutions Inc.
Founded in 2011, GeoComply provides fraud prevention and cybersecurity solutions that detect location fraud and help verify a user’s true digital identity. Our award-winning products are based on the technologies developed for the highly regulated and complex U.S. online gaming and sports betting market. Beyond iGaming, GeoComply provides geolocation fraud detection solutions for streaming video broadcasters and the online banking, payments and cryptocurrency industries, building an impressive list of global customers including Amazon Prime Video, BBC, Akamai, DraftKings, FanDuel and MGM.
The company’s software is installed on over 400 million devices worldwide and analyzes over 9 billion transactions a year, placing GeoComply in a unique position to identify and counter both current and newly emerging fraud threats.
Proven and refined over 10 years of development, GeoComply’s solutions incorporate location, device and identity intelligence along with advanced machine learning to detect and flag fraudulent activity. By integrating GeoComply’s solutions into their processes and risk engines, organizations are able to identify fraud earlier in a user’s engagement, better establish their true digital identity and empower digital trust.
For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Learn more about the future of sports betting – watch our on-demand webinar.